LOCATION: 3rd Floor, House of Roosevelt, 27 Zhong Shan Dong Yi Lu, Shanghai
In June 2017, the library of the Royal Asiatic Society (RAS) China in Shanghai was re-located to the historic House of Roosevelt building at Number 27 Zhong Shan Dong Yi Lu on the Bund. The Roosevelt Club has provided a beautiful space on the third floor for the RAS library, which will be a resource centre and a quiet place of study for all RAS members. The RAS library will also host selected events and programs on the RAS calendar. The new library is near the site of the original RAS building, which is now the Rockbund Art Museum.
This move would not have been possible without the coordinated efforts of the management team at the House of Roosevelt, the office of the British Consulate General in Shanghai and supporters of the Royal Asiatic Society China, whom we gratefully acknowledge.
HISTORY OF THE RAS LIBRARY
THE RAS LIBRARY was founded in 1868 by with the purchase of Alexander Wylie’s collection of 718 books on “various subjects related to China”. Over the next 70 years it grew to become one of the most complete collections of English Language books on Asia in the world.
By 1937 it contained over 30,000 books and was housed on the third floor of the RAS building on Museum Road near the Bund (now the Rockbund Art Museum on Huqiu Road).
During the late 1930s with thousands of refugees flooding into Shanghai, it was a tranquil haven for the residents of the International Settlement. It was recorded that over 6000 people would visit the library each month.
The RAS library survived the Japanese occupation and the Civil War, but was forced to close its doors in 1951. Most of its original collection now resides at the Xujiahui Library (The Bibliotheca Zi-ka-wei).
In 2007, THE RAS LIBRARY was resurrected by a group of enthusiasts, and as part of that process we are starting to rebuild the RAS Library. Like the original RAS Library, our focus is on material related to China.
The Library currently holds over 3,000 books and archival material, many of which are old and not available elsewhere. Approximately 10% of our collection was published prior to 1945; our oldest book was published in 1857.
The RAS library is a private English Language library open to RAS members and RAS guests or special visitors. We are a read only library with no borrowing permitted. Members may view the library’s collection or use the space for studying (free wifi available). We accept donations of books and DVDS and other archival material.
RAS Library Hours
The library will be closed for a private function on Wednesday 16 January.
Mondays : 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Wednesdays: 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Fridays: 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Sundays: 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Saturdays: By Appointment